Saturday, October 8, 2011

Roasted Tomato Soup


Today was a beautiful fall day in Philly. Shortly after I woke up I went for a 6 mile run through the city - down to the art museum, along the Schuylkill river trail, then back Pine Street, one of my favorites. I worked up quite an appetite and spent a good part of my run thinking of what to make. With a little crisp in the air, I decided to try a recipe for Roasted Tomato Soup I had been eying on The Italian Dish blog for a while.


I really enjoyed this recipe and made a few adaptations based off the ingredients I had. I hope you enjoy this as much as I did!

Roasted Tomato Soup


Ingredients:

  • 4 pounds Roma tomato's, cut in half lengthwise
  • 6 garlic cloves, unpeeled
  • 4 tablespoons olive oil
  • 1 teaspoon sea salt
  • 1 medium onion chopped
  • 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
  • 2 teaspoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon butter
  • 3 cups vegetable stock (original recipe calls for chicken stock - but since I stopped eating meat, I have been substituting all recipes with veggie stock and it's just as delish)
  • 1/2 cup heavy cream
Directions:
  1. Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees. Place tomato's, cut side up on a cookie sheet lined with foil. Add unpeeled garlic. Drizzle 3 tablespoons olive oil over tomato's and garlic. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Roast tomato's for 1 hour. Let cool a bit, then peel garlic.
  2. Cook onion, rosemary, sugar, 1 tablespoon olive oil and butter in pot over medium heat until onions are soft (about 5 minutes). Add tomato's, garlic and stock; simmer covered for about 20 minutes.
  3. Place immersion blender in pot and puree the soup. ( the original recipe calls to strain the soup after blending to get rid of skins and seeds, but i pureed the soup enough to skip this step - I don't think it is necessary)
  4. Add cream, salt and pepper to taste and heat until warm.
Top with Parmesan crisps.To make crisps, preheat oven to 325. line a cookie sheet with parchment paper. Use a 2-3" biscuit cutter and place Parmesan in circle, carefully lifting cutter off to leave Parmesan in nice circles. Bake 8-9 minutes to allow cheese to melt thoroughly. Remove from oven. as cheese cools it will harden into a nice crisp.

Fresh Tomato's


Drizzled with Olive Oil, Salt and Pepper


Roasted Tomato's and Garlic


Tomato's simmering with broth and spices


Blending


Parmesean Crisps


No comments:

Post a Comment