Sunday, August 23, 2009

Grandmoms Strawberry Cake

This recipe is so so simple and yummy. If you know me personally, you know how much I adored both my grandmom's growing up, and spent a lot of time baking with my grandmom egan. (i would go to her house for weeks at a time in the summers and on weekends, and she taught me everything - home made apple sauce, etc -so yummy) Thinking back, I feel like she brought this cake to almost every family gathering because everyone loved it so much. It's one of my brothers Pat's favorites, so I made it this past weekend for his birthday.



Ingredients:
- White or Yellow Cake
- 1 package strawberry jello (i use sugar free)
- 1 tub cool whip (again, i use light)
- 1 bag frozen stawberries, or fresh with some sugar to create a syrup-y liquid with the berries

Directions:
- Prepare any white or yellow cake (box or homemade... I just use a box for quickness)
- Let cake cool on racks. Once cool, poke lots of holes over top of cake with fork
- Prepare strawberry jello, and pour over cake to absorb. (i keep cake on cooling rack, on top of a baking sheet lined with foil for this part)
- Allow cake to cool/absorb jellow liquid
- Thaw a bag of frozen strawberries and a tub of cool whip... mix together, and thats your frosting!! Frozen stawberries work well bc when they thaw, there is the juice... to use fresh, i would just chop up, add a little sugar and put in fridge a few hours... the sugar mixed with the strawberries will create natural juices.

No comments:

Post a Comment